vendredi 27 mai 2016

Reading Comprehension #11 - Pre Intermediate

Read the article and complete the gaps (1–5) with the sentences (A–E).

Last month we asked the question:  Who or what has been the biggest influence on you? (0) Below, our readers answer that question.

In my case, it wasn’t a person, it was a place. And that place was Ayers Rock in Australia. (1) __________ (350 metres high and almost 10 kilometres around.) We were there just before sunset when the whole rock turns red. Although there were lots of tourists around us, I felt alone, but so connected to our planet.
Rose, Canberra

The Power of Now has been a huge influence in my life. (2) __________ When you understand that there is no past and there is no future, there is only NOW, well, then everything is simple. Of course, it’s hard to live in the present all the time because of outside influences, but for those moments when I do succeed in being here now, I feel very peaceful and happy.
Kath, Bournemouth

My younger brother has been my greatest role model. 3) __________ His disability hasn’t stopped him – he finished his degree at university and now he works with young people, showing them how much they can do even if they can’t walk.
Tom, Bonn

My colleague Sandi is one of my greatest influences. (4) __________ She has so much energy and doesn’t have time for people who complain about everything. As she says, there are so many people in the world who are worse off than we are and she wants to make a difference. I know that she has changed the lives of so many people.
Martin, Brighton

There are some brave journalists who risk their lives to tell us the truth and they are the people who have influenced me the most. (5) __________ It’s so easy to walk away when things get difficult, but they don’t and I certainly look up to them in every way.
Felix, Cambridge

Complete the gaps (1–5) with the sentences (A–E).

Below, our readers answer that question.
 
A He was in a swimming accident when he was twenty and since then he hasn’t been able to walk.
It seems that they are not afraid of anything and they never give up.
C I can honestly say that it is one of those life-changing books.
D I’m sure you’ve all seen pictures of it, but when you’re actually there, you get a sense of just how special and how huge it is.
E She’s a mother of three, works full-time and still has time to raise money for charity.

1. ______
2. ______
3. ______
4. ______
5. ______

 

 

more readings

 

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire