samedi 16 août 2014

Top Tips Grammar: Offers and invitations

Main points

* You use ‘Would you like’ to offer something to someone or to invite them to do something.
* You use ‘Can I’, ‘Could I’, and ‘Shall I’ when you offer to help someone.

 

a)  When you are offering something to someone, or inviting them to do something, you use ‘Would you like’.

- Would you like a drink?
- Would you like to come for a meal?

You can use ‘Will you’ to offer something to someone you know quite well, or to give an invitation in a fairly informal way.

- Will you have another biscuit, Dave?
- Will you come to my party on Saturday?

 

b) You use ‘Can I’ or ‘Could I’ when you are offering to do something for someone. ‘Could I’ is more polite.

- Can I help you with the dishes?
- Could I help you carry those bags?

You also use ‘Shall I’ when you are offering to do something, especially if you are fairly sure that your offer will be accepted.

- Shall I shut the door?
- Shall I spell that for you?

 

c) You use ‘I can’ or ‘I could’ to make an offer when you want to say that you are able to help someone.

- I have a car. I can take Daisy to the station.
- I could pay some of the rent.

 

d) You also use ‘I’ll’ to offer to do something.

- I’ll give them a ring if you like.
- I’ll show you the hotel.

 

e) You use ‘You must’ if you want to invite someone very persuasively to do something.

- You must come round for a meal some time.
- You must come and visit me.

 

f) There are other ways of making offers and giving invitations without using modals. For example, you can use ‘Let me’ when offering to help someone.

- Let me take you to your room.
- Let me drive you to London.

You can make an offer or give an invitation in a more informal way by using an imperative sentence, when it is clear that you are not giving an order.

- Have a cigar.
- Come to my place.

You can add emphasis by putting ‘do’ in front of a verb.

- Do have a chocolate biscuit.
- Do help yourselves.


You can also give an invitation by using ‘Why don’t you’ or ‘How about’.

- Why don’t you come to lunch tomorrow?
- How about coming with us to the party?

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------
Top Tips Abz Ingles: Part A    -    Part B
---------------------------------------------

 

See also:

Words related to Failure to Cooperate Irregular Verbs list
Common Phrasal Verbs Common Slangs
Common misspellings Regular vs Irregular Verbs
Common Errors Frequently confused words
Common Slangs Lista de Términos Gramaticales
Common Clichés Common Prepositions

 

No te olvides de compartir esto con tus amigos y compañeros, hagamos de este Blog una comunidad de difusión del Inglés como segundo idioma. Antes de irte deja tu comentario y haz clic en Me Gusta.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire