mercredi 17 décembre 2014

Top Tips Grammar: Short answers

Main points

*A short answer uses an auxiliary, a modal, or the main verb ‘be’.
*A short answer can be in the form of a statement or a question.

 

a) Short answers are very common in spoken English. For example, when someone asks you a ‘yes/no’- question, you can give a short answer by using a pronoun with an auxiliary, modal, or the main verb ‘be’. You usually put ‘yes’ or ‘no’ before the short answer.

- ‘Does she still want to come?’ – ‘Yes, she does’.
- ‘Can you imagine what it might feel like?’ – ‘No, I can’t’.
- ‘Are you married?’ – ‘I am’.

Note that a short answer such as ‘Yes, I will’ is more polite or friendly than just ‘Yes’ or than repeating all the words used in the question. People often repeat all the words used in the question when they feel angry or impatient.

- ‘Will you have finished by lunchtime?’ – ‘Yes, I will have finished by lunchtime’.

 

b) You can also use short answers to agree or disagree with what someone says.

- ‘You don’t like Joan?’ – ‘No, I don’t’.
- ‘I’m not coming with you’. – ‘Yes, you are’.

If the statement that you are commenting on does not contain an auxiliary, modal, or the main verb ‘be’, you use a form of ‘do’ in the short answer.

- ‘He never comes on time’. – ‘Oh yes he does’.

 

c) You often reply to what has been said by using a short question.

- ‘He’s not in Japan now’. – ‘Oh, isn’t he?’
- ‘He gets free meals.’ – ‘Does he?’

Note that questions like these are not always asked to get information, but are often used to express your reaction to what has been said, for example to show interest or surprise.

- ‘Dad doesn’t help me at all’ – ‘Doesn’t he? Why not?’
- ‘Penny has been climbing before’. – ‘Oh, has she? When was that?’

 

d) If you want to show that you definitely agree with a positive statement that someone has just made, you can use a negative short question.

- ‘Well, that was very nice’. – ‘Yes, wasn’t it?’

 

e) When you want to ask for more information, you can use a ‘wh’- word on its own or with a noun as a short answer.

- ‘He saw a snake.’ – ‘Where?’
- ‘He knew my cousin.’ – ‘Which cousin?’

You can also use ‘Which one’ and ‘Which ones’.

- ‘Can you pass me the cup?’ – ‘Which one?’

 

f) Sometimes a statement about one person also applies to another person. When this is the case, you can use a short answer with ‘so’ for positive statements, and with ‘neither’ or ‘nor’ for negative statements, using the same verb that was used in the statement.

You use ‘so’, ‘neither’, or ‘nor’ with an auxiliary, modal, or the main verb ‘be’. The verb comes before the subject.

- ‘You were different then.’ – ‘So were you’.
- ‘I don’t normally drink at lunch’. – ‘Neither do I.’
- ‘I can’t do it.’ – ‘Nor can I.’

You can use ‘not either’ instead of ‘neither’, in which case the verb comes after the subject.

- ‘He doesn’t understand.’ – ‘We don’t either.’

 

g) You often use ‘so’ in short answers after verbs such as ‘think’, ‘hope’, ‘expect’, ‘imagine’, and ‘suppose’, when you think that the answer to the question is ‘yes’.

- ‘You’ll be home at six?’ – ‘I hope so.’
- ‘So it was worth doing?’ – ‘I suppose so.’

You use ‘I’m afraid so’ when you are sorry that the answer is ‘yes’.

- ‘Is it raining?’ – ‘I’m afraid so’.

With ‘suppose’, ‘think’, ‘imagine’, or expect’ in short answers, you also form negatives with ‘so’.

- ‘Will I see you again?’. ‘I don’t suppose so’.
- ‘Is Barry Knight a golfer?’ – ‘No, I don’t think so’.

However, you say ‘I hope not’ and ‘I’m afraid not’.

- ‘It isn’t empty, is it? – ‘I hope not’.

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------
Top Tips Abz Ingles: Part A    -    Part B
---------------------------------------------

 

See also:

Words related to Failure to Cooperate Irregular Verbs list
Common Phrasal Verbs Common Slangs
Common misspellings Regular vs Irregular Verbs
Common Errors Frequently confused words
Common Slangs Lista de Términos Gramaticales
Common Clichés Common Prepositions

 

No te olvides de compartir esto con tus amigos y compañeros, hagamos de este Blog una comunidad de difusión del Inglés como segundo idioma. Antes de irte deja tu comentario y haz clic en Me Gusta.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire